2018 clad is all washed up
All the 2018 clad is washed up, which is still a bit of a hit and miss operation. The vinegar and salt works well in the kids old rock tumbler, but some coins still looked bad, so after a YouTube inspiration I tried the toilet bowl cleaner method. I used a plastic peanut jar with a shot of cleaner and shook it for a couple minutes. What I liked was the pour it down the sink cleanup, flood the jar with water and nothing gets on your hands. the bad is some coins were shocked very clean and some coins the the black color turned PINK. At least they look good enough to cash in. I tried this with a few copper pennies and it wasted them, way to harsh. Try at your own risk.

Does anyone else have a fool proof method?  

Actually they looked better with the black. I couldn't leave well enough alone[Image: confused.png]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The following 4 users Like FunGus's post:
  • Dogjello, DOUBLE D, jsulateskee, oldtimerocker52
(01-20-2019, 08:54 PM)FunGus Wrote: All the 2018 clad is washed up, which is still a bit of a hit and miss operation. The vinegar and salt works well in the kids old rock tumbler, but some coins still looked bad, so after a YouTube inspiration I tried the toilet bowl cleaner method. I used a plastic peanut jar with a shot of cleaner and shook it for a couple minutes. What I liked was the pour it down the sink cleanup, flood the jar with water and nothing gets on your hands. the bad is some coins were shocked very clean and some coins the the black color turned PINK. At least they look good enough to cash in. I tried this with a few copper pennies and it wasted them, way to harsh. Try at your own risk.

Does anyone else have a fool proof method?  

Actually they looked better with the black. I couldn't leave well enough alone[Image: confused.png]

Well not foolproof,but one of us suggested lemon juice. I tried it,it does well.
Bounty hunter land ranger pro/Garrett carrot
The following 3 users Like Dogjello's post:
  • DOUBLE D, FunGus, oldtimerocker52
last time i tried cashing coins my bank rejected about 25% of them. guess i gotta get a rock tumbler but first i'm gonna try putting them in 1 of thosecoin machines. we do have 1 at our local walmart. thing is coins are legal tender therefore  banks should be obligated to honor them regardless of condition.
bounty hunter tracker 4 bounty hunter land ranger pro
The following 2 users Like oldtimerocker52's post:
  • Dogjello, DOUBLE D
(01-21-2019, 11:15 AM)oldtimerocker52 Wrote: last time i tried cashing coins my bank rejected about 25% of them. guess i gotta get a rock tumbler but first i'm gonna try putting them in 1 of thosecoin machines. we do have 1 at our local walmart. thing is coins are legal tender therefore  banks should be obligated to honor them regardless of condition.

I agree,  banks should pay out for coins.   Watch out for the coinstar machines.  They charge over 10 % to take your coins.  There are some machines that give 100% but you have to choose a gift card.  I saw a machine that gave online cards. But there might be some that give the plain old gift cards.  Read the machines terms before you start.
The following 2 users Like DOUBLE D's post:
  • Dogjello, oldtimerocker52
(01-21-2019, 11:15 AM)oldtimerocker52 Wrote: last time i tried cashing coins my bank rejected about 25% of them. guess i gotta get a rock tumbler but first i'm gonna try putting them in 1 of thosecoin machines. we do have 1 at our local walmart. thing is coins are legal tender therefore  banks should be obligated to honor them regardless of condition.

The teller at my bank was more concerned that there were no bent coins that could mess up the counting machine.
The following 2 users Like FunGus's post:
  • DOUBLE D, oldtimerocker52
in my case they rejected some because they were not shiny said others customers were complaining about the color of them. i usually run mine thru a clr wash to get the dirt and crude off but they turn red in that.
bounty hunter tracker 4 bounty hunter land ranger pro
The following 2 users Like oldtimerocker52's post:
  • Dogjello, DOUBLE D
I use like 2-3 tablespoons of fish rocks...a small drop of Dawn...then just shake them all up in a large Gatorade bottle 3/4 full of hot water for a few minutes. 

Visual inspection for bent or cut ones...as they can jam a machine.  Never had a jam or a bank teller tell me no...so far so good.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Teknetics = T2 Classic - G2+ - Patriot - Liberator 
Fisher = F75+ 
Bounty Hunter = Land Ranger Pro - Tracker 4
The following 3 users Like TheHunterGT's post:
  • DOUBLE D, JConis, oldtimerocker52
Yep, washed mine and took them to the bank.
I tumble mine in lemon juice and salt.
I tumble the pennies separate than the buckles, dimes, and quarters.
Nice
Fisher F2 with NEL Sharpshooter 9.5" DD Coil
Garrett AT Pro with stock DD coil
The following 3 users Like Neodetectorist's post:
  • DOUBLE D, FunGus, oldtimerocker52
Put a drop of Frank's hot sauce on a penny for 20 seconds it will look like new ! Probably not cost effective large scale but interesting non the less!
The following 4 users Like Brown dirt cowboy's post:
  • Dogjello, DOUBLE D, FunGus, oldtimerocker52
(02-10-2019, 02:31 PM)Brown dirt cowboy Wrote: Put a drop of Frank's hot sauce on a penny for 20 seconds it will look like new ! Probably not cost effective large scale but interesting non the less!

Nice! I gotta try that.
Bounty hunter land ranger pro/Garrett carrot
The following 2 users Like Dogjello's post:
  • DOUBLE D, oldtimerocker52